I am a Full Professor of Computer Science at the Institute of Computer Science, University of Goettingen and leading the Computer Networks (NET) Research Group. I was born in a small village in Jiangxi, China and received my bachelor (1994) and master (with distinction, 1997) degrees from Northeastern University, Shenyang, China, my Ph.D. (2000) degree in Computer Science from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (supervisor: Professor Yaoxue Zhang). Prior to joining Goettingen, I worked with Prof. Dr.-Ing. Adam Wolisz as a member of scientific staff at the Telecommunications Networks (TKN) group, Technical University Berlin until September 2002. Between 2003 and 2005 I also served in the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) as an Expert in Specialist Task Forces in Internet Protocol (Version 6) Testing. I was/am a visiting scholar at the University of Cambridge (host: Prof. Jon Crowcroft) in 2005 and 2007, a DAAD visiting professor at Columbia University (host: Prof. Henning Schulzrinne) in 2008 and 2009, a Fulbright Scholar Visiting Professor at UCLA (hosts: Prof. Lixia Zhang and Prof. Mario Gerla) in academic year 2009/2010, and a ChangJiang Scholar Visiting Professor at Tsinghua University during 2010-2013. During 2010-2012 I served as Vice Chair of the Technical Committee on Computer Communications (TCCC), IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc), and during 2011-2013 as Chair of the Internet Technical Committee of the IEEE ComSoc and Internet Society (ISOC). I am a member of Academia Europaea, an IEEE senior member and an IEEE distinguished lecturer, a member of ACM, a Fellow of IET, and a member of GI.
IEEE NIPAA 2021, in conjunction with ICNP 2021, November 2021 (TPC Chairs: Cedric Westphal, Xiaoming Fu and Mohamed Faten Zhani).
IEEE ICAV 2021, in conjunction with ICNP 2021, November 2021 (TPC Chairs: Jianhua He, Alexey Vinel, Supeng Leng; Steering Committee: Xiaoming Fu, Lajos Hanzo, Yan Zhang and Markku Juntti).
5th IEEE International Conference on Smart City Innovations (IEEE SCI 2021), Atlanta, GA, USA, Oct 18-21, 2021 (General Co-Chairs: Xiaoming Fu, Behrooz Shirazi, Wenzhan Song and Yu Qiao).
IEEE Network Special Issue on Interplay Between Machine Learning and Networking Systems, November 2021 (submission deadline April 15, 2021. Guest Editors: Xiaowen Chu, Xiaoming Fu, Baochun Li, Wei Wang, Hui Zang, Albert Zomaya).
The 5th ACM Asia-Pacific Workshop on Networking (APNet 2021), Shenzhen, China, June 24-25, 2021 (General Co-Chairs: Xiaoming Fu and Yunjie Liu, TPC Co-Chairs: K. K. Ramakrishnan and Minlan Yu).
1st IEEE Workshop on New Internetworking Protocols Architectures, and Algorithms (NIPAA 2020), in conjunction with IEEE ICNP 2020, Madrid, Spain, Oct 13, 2020 (TPC Co-Chairs: Cedric Westphal, Filip De Turck, Xiaoming Fu, and Mohamed Faten Zhani).
IFIP Networking 2020, Paris, France, June 22-26, 2020 (TPC Co-Chairs: Xiaoming Fu, Silvia Giordano, Christian Jacquenet).
NewIP Workshop at IEEE INFOCOM 2020, Beijing, China, April 27, 2020 (TPC Co-Chairs: Xiaoming Fu, Mohamed Faten Zhani, Zongpeng Li).
A new journal, Journal of Social Computing (by IEEE and Tsinghua University Press) (Editors in Chief: James Evans, Xiaoming Fu, and Jar-Der Luo), starting fall 2020.
World Wide Web journal, Special issue on Social computing and big data applications (Guest Editors: Xiaoming Fu, Hong Huang, Gareth Tyson, Lu Zheng, Gang Wang), Nov 2019.
IEEE Communications Magazine, Feature Topic on ICN Security (Guest Editors: Xiaoming Fu, Sathyajayant Misra, Dirk Kutscher, Ruidong Li), Nov 2018.
A new book "Social Network Analysis: Interdisciplinary Approaches and Case Studies" has been published by CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group (editors: Xiaoming Fu, Jar-Der Luo and Margarete Boos), in March 2017.
My research interests lie in the architecture and applications of Internet-based systems; an overview of my work so far in these areas is briefly described in my curriculum vitae or research statement. I am currently involved in several collaborative research projects, addressing various aspects on the design, validation, implementation, simulation and analysis of new networked systems architectures, protocols, and AI-empowered systems and applications, especially QoE/QoS, transport protocols, network security and resilience, software defined networks, mobile, edge and cloud computing, IoT and smart cities, big data and social network analysis.
My research team has been sponsored by European Commission, State Lower Saxony, Volkswagen, Siemens, Nokia Siemens Networks, German Telecom, ETSI, Panasonic, Huawei, as well as German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), US Department of State, and Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC). In addition, we work in close collaborations with many national and international institutions and industry partners.
As detailed in my teaching statement, I've been indeed enjoying a great deal of pleasure having the opportunity in delivery of my knowledge and experiences to the young elite, sharing their excitement and satisfaction in knowing what, how, why and more, as well as learning new things for myself. I am responsible for several courses in systems and networking area, may they be introductory, intermediate or advanced.
In most cases I am available in my office; to be sure please send me an email for making appointments with me. Also note the University of Goettingen's academic calendar (including ongoing and future semesters).
Current Ph.D. students:
Selected recent publications:
o SDN, NFV, ICN, Edge/cloud computing, data centers, distributed systems:
1. Scheduling Placement-Sensitive BSP Jobs with Inaccurate Execution Time Estimation, IEEE INFOCOM 2020.
2. Delay-Aware Virtual Network Function Placement and Routing in Edge Clouds, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Sept 2019
3. Efficient Recovery Path Computation for Fast Reroute in Large-scale Software Defined Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 37(8): 1755-1768, Aug. 2019.
4. OFM: An Online Fisher Market for Cloud Computing, IEEE INFOCOM 2019.
5. FastRule: Efficient Flow Entry Updates for TCAM-based OpenFlow Switches, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 37(3): 484-498, Mar. 2019.
6. CBase: Fast Virtual Machine Storage Data Migration with a New Data Center Structure, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 124: 14-26, Elsevier, Feb 2019.
7. DCMPTCP: Host-based Load Balancing for Datacenters, IEEE ICDCS 2018
8. ISI: Integrate Sensor Networks to Internet with ICN, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 5(2): 491-499, Apr 2018
9. REINFORCE: Achieving Efficient Failure Resiliency for Network Function Virtualization based Services, ACM CoNEXT 2018
10. Reliable Virtual Machine Placement and Routing in Clouds, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 28(10): 2965-2978, Oct. 2017.
11. NFVnice: Dynamic Backpressure and Scheduling for NFV Service Chains, ACM SIGCOMM 2017
12. Crowd Foraging: A QoS-oriented Self-organized Mobile Crowdsourcing Framework over Opportunistic Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 35(4): 1-15, Apr. 2017.
13. D2D Fogging: An Energy-Efficient and Incentive-Aware Task Offloading Framework via Network-assisted D2D Collaboration. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 34(12): 3887-3901, 2016. (Clarivate Highly cited paper)
14. Efficient Multi-User Computation Offloading for Mobile-Edge Cloud Computing. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 24(5): 2795-2808, 2016. (Clarivate Highly cited paper)
15. Crowdlet: Optimal worker recruitment for self-organized mobile crowdsourcing. IEEE INFOCOM 2016
16. Exploiting ICN for Flexible Management of Software-Defined Networks, ACM ICN 2014 (Best Paper Award)
17. Explicit Multipath Congestion Control for Data Center Networks, ACM CoNEXT 2013.
18. Cost Optimization for Online Social Networks on Geo-Distributed Clouds, IEEE ICNP 2012, revised in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2016
19. Scaling Microblogging Services with Divergent Traffic Demands, ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware 2011.
20. COPSS: An Efficient Content Oriented Publish/Subscribe System, ACM/IEEE ANCS 2011.
o Big data mining and analytics, social networks, IoT and urban analytics, machine learning, as well as AI applications in smart vehicles, security and privacy:
1. RACE: Reinforced Cooperative Autonomous Vehicle Collision AvoidancE, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (accepted).
2. ADA: Adaptive Deep Log Anomaly Detector, IEEE INFOCOM 2020.
3. DeepScan: Exploiting Deep Learning for Malicious Account Detection in Location-Based Social Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, Feature Topic on Mobile Big Data for Urban Analytics, 56(11): 21-27, Nov 2018.
4. A Cross-Platform Consumer Behavior Analysis of Large-Scale Mobile Shopping Data, The Web Conference (WWW 2018)
5. Measurement and Analysis of the Reviews in Airbnb, IFIP Networking 2018
6. Identifying Topical Opinion Leaders in Social Community Question Answering, DASFAA 2018
7. Will Triadic Closure Strengthen Ties in Social Networks? ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 12(3), Jan. 2018.
8. Trajectory Recovery from Ash: User Privacy Is NOT Preserved in Aggregated Mobility Data, WWW 2017.
9. The Good Left Undone: Advances and Challenges in Decentralizing Online Social Networks, Computer Communications, 108(1): 36-51, 2017.
10. NCShield: Protecting Decentralized, Matrix Factorization-Based Network Coordinate Systems, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 10(2): 244-257, Mar. 2017
11. Cloud-Assisted Data Fusion and Sensor Selection for Internet-of-Things, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 3(3): 257-268, June 2016.
12. Spice: Socially-Driven Learning-Based Mobile Media Prefetching, IEEE INFOCOM 2016.
13. Triadic Closure Pattern Analysis and Prediction in Social Networks, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 27(12): 3374-3389, Dec 2015.
14. LIVE: - Lightweight Integrity Verification and Content Access Control for Named Data Networking, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 10(2): 308-320, Feb 2015.
15. Mining Checkins from Location-sharing Services for Client-independent IP Geolocation, IEEE INFOCOM 2014.
16. SOUP: An Online Social Network by the People, for the People, ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware 2014.
17. On the State of OSN-based Sybil Defenses, IFIP Networking 2014
18. Social Opportunistic Sensing and Social Centric Networking - Enabling technology for Smart Cities, ACM WiMobCity@MobiHoc 2014
19. Fighting Spam Using Social GateKeepers, Networking Science, 2(1-2): 28-41, May 2013.
20. BotFinder: Finding Bots in Network Traffic without Deep Packet Inspection, ACM CoNEXT 2012.
Conference oral presentations at: INFOCOM'06; ICNP'04, '09, '19; Networking'02, '05, '07, '19; GLOBECOM'08, ICC'09, ICCCN'11, '19, IWCMC'08, PWC'05, etc
Keynote at IFIP Networking'12, IEEE INFOCOM-ICCN'19, IEEE Global Internet Symposium'15, conference on social networks and social capital research in China'11 etc.
Tutorial at Networking'06, ICCCN'11 and RUC media and communications summer school'11
Panelist/chair at: ICNP'14, MICNET@MOBICOM'09; KiVS'09; MobiArch@MobiSys'09; EuroView'08, IWQoS'05 etc
Colloquium talks at: Microsoft Research Redmond & Asia, Bell Labs USA & Germany, T-Labs, T-Systems, Telecom Italia Lab, Cisco; China Telecom, Baidu, Alibaba; NICT, NII; UCLA, UCSB, USC/ISI, Columbia U.; RWTH Aachen, U. Tuebingen, TU Braunschweig, TU Berlin; Adelaide U., Monash U., UTS, UQ, Victoria U; U. Vienna; UPMC/LIP6; LTU, Uppsala, U. Stockholm, KTH; DTU; HUT/TKK, U. Helsinki; Dublin City U.; U. Cambridge, UCL, Lancaster U., Surrey U., Glamorgan U.; U. Groningen; HKU, HKUST, CUHK, CityU-HK, PolyU-HK; Tsinghua U., Peking U., Renmin U. of China, BUAA, BUPT, Fudan U., Shanghai Jiao Tong U., Nanjing U., Southeast U., Nankai U., Tianjin U., Northeastern U., Zhejiang U., Hangzhou Dianzi U., Sun Yat-Sen U., Jinan U., CAS-ICT etc.
Updated: Dec 2019